Copyright © 1998 - 2014 Lodge St. Andrew Livingston Station  No. 1587 All rights reserved. Revised Tuesday 21st. January 2014.

TERMS AND CONDITIONS

Lodge St. Andrew Livingston Station No. 1587

Home Installation News Syllabus Events Galleries Obituaries History Past Masters Links Contact Us

Return to Top of Page

Historical Background and Foundation of the Lodge


Whilst the modern town of Livingston is quite young, its origins are much older.

The town takes its name from Livingston Village which is about two miles from the present commercial town centre, The Village dates from pre-circa 1200 and has a fine example of an 18th. century Church.

The area surrounding Livingston is made up of other small Villages, and the Modern Town of Livingston, which started life in 1962, is made up of Districts that reflect the Village style, while retaining the overall, feel of a New Town.

The Village of Livingston Station was set up around the turn of the century to accommodate the workers of the world's first oil industry, (a process of extracting oil from shale), and as its name suggests had a railway station built to enable the oil from the shale mines to be transported throughout the world.

As most of the men in Livingston Station were employed by the oil companies which required round the clock shift working, many of the masons among them found it difficult to attend their Lodges in the surrounding Villages.

With the decline in the late fifties and early sixties of the shale oil industry, men were starting to find employment that did not require the working of such unsociable hours, and when a local man, the late Bro. Charles Akers was installed as RWM of Lodge Lord Newlands No.1074 in Woolfords in Lanarkshire in 1961, this fanned the flames of a long held ambition to have a Masonic Lodge in Livingston Station Village.

On Monday the 12th. of March 1961 a meeting was held at a (now demolished) hut belonging to the local Garden & Allotment Association (the meeting actually took place on Sunday the 11th. to allow men that were still working shifts in the oil industry to attend but as it was not deemed proper to hold any meeting connected with freemasonry on a Sunday, the minutes read that it took place on the Monday 12th..

The brethren who attended the initial meeting were as follows:

Edward Aitchison; John Wilson; James Wilson; Andrew Wilson; John Williamson; Charles Akers; John P. Purdie; George Fairley; William McCutcheon (Senior); Thomas Kerr; Robert Purdie; Joe Clarke; John Gibson; and James Drysdale.

A committee was formed under the chairmanship of Edward Aitchison and Charles Akers agreed to act as secretary, one of the early decisions of the committee was to agree to name the new Lodge St. Andrew.

The name was a popular choice, not only as the name of Scotland's Patron Saint, but also because it is the name of the local Church of Scotland.

Local masons were asked and readily agreed to contribute half a crown a week toward the setting up of the new Lodge, gifts of furnishings equipment and money also poured in from Lodges and individuals from within and out-with the province of Linlithgowshire.

On the 3rd. of March 1962 a deputation headed by the Grand Master Mason, Brother The Lord Bruce, and assisted by a deputation from the Provincial Grand Lodge of Linlithgowshire headed by the Provincial Grand Master, Brother Alexander Pennycook performed the ceremony of erection and consecration.

LODGE HISTORY

In the Beginning………

Founder Members

Denotes Deceased

Bro. Charles B. Akers

Bro. Ernest Collinson

Bro. John Williamson

Bro. Andrew Glen

Bro. David Drysdale

Bro. Hugh R. Pender

Bro. David Scott

Bro. James (Judd) Smith

Bro. David Linton

Bro. John McCulloch

Bro. Thomas Crawford

Bro. John M. Sneddon

Bro. Samuel Munn

Bro. William Howden

Bro. Henry Docherty

Bro. James Mitchell

Bro. George Fairley

Bro. John P. Purdie

Bro. Andrew Hannah

Bro. Robert Broadley

Bro. James McLaren

Bro. David Reston

Bro. James Wilson

Bro. Thomas E. Law

Bro. Andrew Crow

Bro. John Roy

Bro. Andrew Wilson

Bro. John Goodall

Bro. Charles Dunleavy

Bro. John W. Angus

Bro. Gilbert Ferrol

Bro. Robert Heggie

Bro. Robert Young

Bro. John Burnside

Bro. Thomas McMillan

Bro. Thomas Gray

Bro. John Wilson

Bro. Hugh Morrison

Bro. Robert McMillan

Bro. John Allan

Bro. David Innes

Bro. William L R. Akers

Bro. Albert Young

Bro. Thomas Rankine

Bro. Edward Aitchison

Bro. James Ferguson

Bro. Ronald Merrit


Bro. George Wilson

Bro. John McDonald

Bro. Alexander Clarke


Bro. Robert Purdie

Bro. Walter A. Budd

Bro. Alexander Brownie